Club Info > Club History  
 
 

 

Highland Golf Links, a three hole golf course, was the beginning of Seggy. A meeting held in 1893, of several gentleman from Taunton, changed the name when they formed Segregansett Country Club. The forming of the Club brought a change in location from Highland Street to the present location on Gulliver Street. Land owned by Samuel Gulliver and George Crane was leased for five years at a rate of $125.00 per year. The original nine holes were laid out by A. H. Findlay and changed by Joseph Ohlson.

The next historic change was in 1899, when the Club was incorporated and a code of by-laws was approved. Part of Article 1 stated that two ladies be appointed by the membership committee to the nine-member Board of Governors. Dues for the first year were set at $10.00, and A.C. Bent was elected President, the office he held until 1908. A meeting of the Board of Governors in 1900 reduced the dues to $5.00 per year.

The annual meeting of 1901, was held at the Taunton Inn, (presently Marian Manor on Summer Street, Taunton, MA), where the members voted to join the United States Golf Association. Receipts were $1729.77, expenses $1729.77. The greenskeeper's annual salary was $540.00.

Members at the 1903 Annual Meeting voted to join the Massachusetts Golf Association, making Segregansett one of the charter members.

 


The next change in the Club history was in 1908, when the 158 acre Gulliver Estate was purchased by the Club for $3800.00. At the Board meeting held on November 12, 1909, the Board of Governors voted to open the membership to any person within a ten mile radius.

On May 13, 1912, the Board voted to authorize the Treasurer to purchase land in Dighton, MA owned by George Wilbur for $300.00. The land was adjacent to the old third hole. (We know it as the twelfth hole.)

The years 1912 through 1921 were not very historic.

Francis Ouimet, the winner of the United States Open at the Country Club in Brookline, MA, in 1913, was a member of Segregansett until 1922, although not when he won the Open. His many business ventures brought him to Taunton often.

 

Henry Carlow donated the land behind the old fifth green and sixth tee presently the fourteenth green and fifteenth tee.

At the Board Meeting held on May 7, 1924, the members voted to construct two tennis courts at a cost of $2250.00.

On April 14, 1925, 150 feet along the old seventh and eight fairways (presently the 16th and 17th fairways) was purchased for $450.00 from the Stiles and Hart, Co., a brick maker in Taunton.

The first discussion of adding nine more holes occurred on November 25, 1925.

Land for the new third hole was part of the seventy acres purchased from the Laneway Farm for $50,000.00

On January 9, 1965, the Taunton Daily Gazette reported that Segregansett Country Club was about to take their biggest step since 1893, by adding nine holes to the existing nine holes. Seventy acres were purchased from Laneway Farm for $50,000.00. The Laneway Farm area was once the summer home of James Gamble, of the famous Proctor and Gamble Soap Company.

Segregansett Country Club went to a twelve hole course, then to an eighteen hole course between the years of 1965 and 1974.

In June of 1977, an electrical fire that started in the kitchen, caused extensive damage to the Clubhouse. Many historical records that were stored in the office were lost at that time.

 

The next fire was in February 1985 and was set by local teenagers. This fire destroyed most of the Club. The Club was rebuilt by 1987 leaving very little of the original structure. In 1993, Segregansett celebrated one hundred years with a full year of events. A pond was dug on the right of the second fairway for the new irrigation system. This pond is known as the Centennial Pond.

 

Many improvements have been made since 1993. All the tees were leveled, parking lots were resurfaced, bunkers redone, driving range and practice area added. The seventh hole was extended back 50 yards by moving the green making it a true par five.